Dr. rer. nat. Dipl.-Math.
Senior scientist and head of the research group Agile Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web at InfAI and Business Information Systems / University of Leipzig. Director of academic studies at Leipzig School of Media for the master studies Content- and Media-Engineering.
- Knowledge Representation and Management, in particular agile, light-weight methodologies and social semantic collaboration
- Semantic Web, in particular the terminological Knowledge Representation standards RDF, RDF-Schema, OWL (W3C)
- Software engineering, open-source software, scripting languages and adaptive methodologies and tools (Wikis, eXtreme Programming): SemanticScripting.org
- Database and XML technologies
- Open, participatory research and development (see my Open Science slides and OpenResearch.org)
- Coordinator of the EU-FP7-ICT IP project LOD2 - Creating Knowledge out of Interlinked Data
- Founder (resp. co-founder) of a number of high-impact research and community projects, e.g.: SlideWiki (crowd-sourcing of educational content creation), DBpedia.org (transforming Wikipedia into a knowledge base), LinkedGeoData.org (spatial semantic data repository).
- Principle investigator for the funded research projects OntoWiki (EU-FP7-SME) and LE4SW (BmBF)
- Programme committee co-chair of: WWW 2012, ICWE 2011, ESWC 2012, OKCon 2010, I-Semantics 2008
- Programme committee member of conferences and workshops, e.g.: ICDE2012, WWW 2013, ISWC 2012, ESWC 2013, IEEE-ICSC 2011 (see Events)
- Director of academic master studies program “Content- and Media Engineering” at Leipzig School of Media
- W3C's RDB2RDF Working Group (invited expert)
- Open Knowledge Foundation - Protecting and Promoting Open Knowledge in a Digital Age (advisory board member)
- EU's 6th and 7th framework programs (evaluator and reviewer)
- Co-editor of Journal of Semantic Web and Information Systems, editorial board member of various journals (Semantic Web Journal, Journal of Web Engineering)
- Supervision of doctoral students: Sebastian Tramp, Sebastian Hellmann, Michael Martin, Jörg Unbehauen, Philipp Frischmuth, Ali Khalili, Timofey Ermilov, Mohamed Morsey, Claus Stadler, Saeedeh Shekarpour, Amrapali J. Zaveri
- Collaboration with: Jens Lehmann (AKSW MOLE), Axel-Cyrille Ngonga Ngomo (AKSW SIMBA)
- Invited speaker at: LREC 2012, SBBD 2011, ReWeb 2011, BIS 2011, CONSEGI 2011, WIMS 2011, ISWSA 2011, ESWC 2010